Friday, August 14, 2009

Raising Ferns In South West Florida:

Good Morning from Port Charlotte Florida:

With a little encouragement and proper care ferns will grow here like weeds. I keep them in pots because I don’t want them spreading into my yard. In spite of containerizing I find them growing in pots that I didn’t plant and in areas of my garden that I didn’t plant them. I did buy a specific fern that I liked a few months ago and put it into a large pot and set it on one of my tables under a tree. It started to put out runners and I decided to try to grow new plants from them. I took small pots and filled them with potting soil and placed the longer runners into the pots. If they were too long, I just circled the runner inside the pot and placed it totally into the potting soil; being sure the have the tip buried. Within a month I had fern plants developing with a new leaves about 2 feet long. I was really surprised at how fast they grew.

I immediately got some more pots, because by then the mother fern was putting out runners like topsey. I will be able to start several new fern plants from just the one mother fern. It will actually produce more runners than I can possibly take care of at this time. I actually wasn’t being very careful, I was in a hurry and did a rather sloppy job of it, but it worked. Like I said ferns in this locality are rather invasive and will g-r-o-w. It’s taking over my table very rapidly.

I have other varieties of ferns growing around the place that I dig up and throw away. One started growing with a Christmas Cactus that I will have to dig out and get rid of. Once they put their roots down, they are very tenacious in wanting to stay in the pots.
Today I might re-pot some of my new fern plants. I’m not really sure if I should separate them from the parent plant, or let them mature for a while. Strawberries which develop from runners need some time to develop in sturdy new plants. They receive help from the mother plant which furnishes nourishment for some time.

I’ll make a determination some time today.
I have to work on my new aquarium. I have the metal stand ready to repaint, which will take only a few minutes, then let dry, then tomorrow I will set it up with water. We have been having quite a bit of rain here and I want to do that outside; however I may get rained out before I get started. I will just have to play that by ear. If it rains, I’ll have more nap time.

A few days ago I created a few new plants with a weed whacker. I’ve put them into pots with rooting soil and so far they are holding up. I will know in a few days if I might have some additional plants to add to my collections. That’s not exactly how to propagate cuttings, but if you get them early enough, you may get some new plants. Those two kinds of plants are the kind that flower constantly and they are perennial plants, Pentas and Mexican Petunias. I am trying to increase my stock with both of those varieties.

Thank you for reading my blog. Brad Vigansky

No comments:

Followers

Good Sources For Gardening Information