Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Aquarium


Good Morning: I received a very nice fish tank yesterday from Rose my youngest daughter and guess what. Today I will be working on getting started to setting up an in house fish tank. I am a little apprehensive about getting started, at 78 I just don’t take to changes in routine very well. That is until I get with it. Then it will be ok. I just don’t want to kill a bunch of fish in order to get established.

It is my intent to go aquaponic with this fish tank and it will be my first step in getting there. I plan on stocking it with goldfish because they are the hardiest and most forgiving. It will be hydroponic to begin because I want to experiment with using the change water on my garden nursery stock and I don‘t want the extra expense of setting up plant grow tables; that‘s additional expense that I just can’t afford at this time. I just have to get used to the idea of having fish to care for and making a change in fertilizing my plants. It’s going to make quite a change. The thing that is spurring me on is that it will save me money and will at the same time improve the health of the plants. I’m hoping it will be all natural and complete the organic process.

I will be making a trip to the pet store to do some investigating on just what all I will need in the way of using the local tap water. I know I have to declorinate it and also add some other stuff to make it liveable for the fish. I may eventually wind up with an inground pond or pool; I’m just not quite sure where that will lead me. Looks like I’m inventing some words or my word processor just don’t like my spelling. Oh well! Then there is a little assembly that needs to take place. Like attaching an aerator, a heater and hooking up lights, etc. I feel like Dorothy and Toto, “Oh My!”

I am very determined to make this work, I am trying to tell people how they should try this and feel really sold on the concept. My biggest problem is building something that I will be able to handle. It’s like gardening, every plant that you add creates more work and finally you reach a point, no more plants. Getting old hasn’t been any help either. I just have to be careful not to overload my donkey. It’s a journey and it’s one step at a time. Then there are the unwanted guests in your garden like bugs and weeds. At times it seems that they just seem to appear out of nowhere. It’s either attack or loose the battle.

Thank you for reading my blog. Brad Vigansky

No comments:

Followers

Good Sources For Gardening Information