Friday, August 28, 2009

‘Question authority. There are no experts‘. Wilhelm Reich


Why should one question authority. When do you know you have all the facts? If you are honest with yourself you know that you just never know the answer to that question. If you think you have all the facts, then you should be able to draw correct conclusions from the subject. However, just one missing fact could totally destroy or alter your conclusions and ready it for the trash bin. This often times is discouraging but of necessity if you are to continue investigating, then your conclusions should improve.

Years ago I worked for an individual that was doing a statistical analysis. The subject doesn’t matter. I started with several hundred records of facts that were included in the first analysis. We went through the detail and began to exclude certain records of facts. In the final analysis he came up with the results that he wanted for his argument. Believe it, this is done in industry all the time. I hear statements made about products that just wrinkle my skin. One of the very worst is, “Most Doctors agree that….” . In my book that is the most deceptive form of advertising and I find it very disgusting. Then you will find that if they try to hone in on a specific target, they will glean non objectionable facts from their source to make their analysis look the way they want it to look. From this you can be assured that statistics don’t lie, but satiations do. Only if in the final analysis if the report doesn’t look favourable they just won’t use it. Be careful of statistics and don’t believe most of them because you probably will not be presented with all the facts to back up the conclusions. Sure they have conclusive proof after they threw out what they didn’t want to include.

Now when it comes to gardening, I most certainly am not an authority. I am aware of certain things like local weather, local plants, and some exotic plants. I work with plants but do not perform any scientific work on them. I just do personal experiments with them. I use what works for me. I do things in a certain way, some are orthodox and some are not; and sometimes with surprising results. In starting new plants, I have used several methods. Starting from seed, starting from cuttings of various types, layering. Each method has its own peculiar procedure for accomplishing your desired results. Sometimes I even discover procedures accidentally; which are performed by nature and try to duplicate the process. One plant the kalanchoe I found propagated itself from tiny root bulbs that develop from the parent. This I found as a very easy process to use. It requires an additional year which many don’t want to wait. However I have chosen that way to go with the kalanchoe rather than the leaf or stem cuttings. Overall it will be much less time consuming and less work and more plants. I have many kalanchoes in my garden and when they flower they really put on a show of colour.

Thank you for reading my blog: Brad Vigansky

No comments:

Followers

Good Sources For Gardening Information