Thursday, August 20, 2009

Aquaponics


Click on picture and learn all about it.

Aquaponics is here to stay and the timing could not be more important that it is right now. As long as there are people on the earth the demand for food is getting evermore important; especially good organic food. If you raise your own aquaponic organic food, you won’t have to worry about your personal supply of fresh food. As the world heads more and more into turmoil, it is very important that you consider combining raising fish and plants in a single connected operation. Getting set up is the most important thing. I am going at it little by little. Monday I plan on introducing goldfish into my aquarium. I chose goldfish because:
  • They are most hardy and considered cold water fish.
  • I don’t need a water heater.
  • They are easy to care for and raise.
  • They are inexpensive. I’m going to start with 8 goldfish at a total cost of $1.04.
  • I plan on using about 5 gallons of fish tank water for fertilizer for my plant nursery hobby. I will do this once a week, I have about 700 plants that I am caring for and experimenting with several different aspects of raising plants.
  • For my personal requirements this will very nicely tie in together.
  • If you are successful at raising your gold fish to adults, if well taken care of they should live for about 15 years.
  • After set up with gold fish it would be a simple conversion to convert to another type of fish such as tilapia. I would need heaters for them. When starting out, it is important to keep costs at a minimum.
If I loose any baby gold fish I will just pick up some more and add to the group. I am being very careful because I don’t want to loose any because of my carelessness. Those that I succeed in raising will go into my aquaponic system that I plan on starting in about 6 months. By that time a slow old curmudgeon like me should be ready to go with it.

If you have the money and would like to purchase an aquaponics system ready to go just click on the picture above. That will give you a good idea of what an aquaponic system looks like and what you could run into in the way of costs if you don‘t build your own system. To start with, keep it simple, you will have enough to learn as it is.

Thank you for reading my blog. Brad Vigansky

No comments:

Followers

Good Sources For Gardening Information