Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Growing Plumeria Frangipani



Plumeria trees are tropical and must have conditions as near to tropical in order to flourish. Plumeria do best in full sun with at least a half day's sun exposure to bloom properly. They do well when potted in an appropriate size pot to the size of the tree in well drained soil. I am lucky and have one planted near my house for added protection from the weather. I will cover and wrap it during frosty or near freezing weather.

Give your plumeria as much sun as possible. Here in Port Charlotte Florida, the people have experienced severe loss of the plumeria trees because of severe frost in the area. If they are a well established plant they will return to growing from the roots. I have noticed a lot of the neighbours have cut their plumeria to the ground but they are putting up new growth and most are doing quite well.

The pllumeria like a fertilizer that is high in phosphorus. Middle number, if you can get it. A water soluble fertilizer should have a phosphorus content of 50 or higher. Granular fertilizer needs to have a content of phosphorus 20 or higher. I wonder how the water from the fish tanks from an aquaponics system would do for fertilizing.

Place your plumeria in well drained soil. Be sure the drain holes remain open if you are potting. Plumeria will do quite well inside with grow lights or in screened pool cages if the pool cage is in the full sun.

When rooting plumeria, place only 3 inches of the stalk into the soil for a 12 inch to 16 inch cuttings. I find that cuttings about 12 inches long do the best.

I root my cuttings in the shade and water them like a regular plant with roots. I do not overwater. They will drop their leaves when you are starting from cuttings. Some advise not to water while the plant is rooting, but in this area it would be like rooting in dry sand. They wont grow. I have put cuttings in the ground here in South West Florida during the winter and they do very well. In this area it doesn’t seem to matter when you start to develop the plant from a cutting. During the winter it will just stay dormant. Then in late February it will start to grow. If you have a nice neighbor that has a Plumeria tree, maybe you would be able to get a cutting from them. Or watch the weather, maybe the wind might break a branch and you would be able to get some cuttings. The cheapest cuttings that I could buy on the internet are $10 plus shipping. I have seen them as high as $200.

You will know when they are rooting when they start to grow. I do not root them in pots, I just root them under a table in my garden.

Your watering schedule will depend on your location and your time of year. They just don’t like over watering.

Learn as much as you can about the plumeria. You will get a good range of opinion but remember, some of those opinions are based on weather condition in various geographical locations. Just remember that plumeria is a sub tropical plant and they don’t like cold weather. Here in South West Florida they drop their leave in the fall when the weather gets chilly. (Now that’s a relative term.)

As for me the plumeria is one of my favorite garden plants. It is a tropical tree. Once you get yours to bloom you will be forever attached to it. They are well worth the extra attention that it takes to raise them.

Thank you for reading my blog. Brad Vigansky

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello. I bought a home with a nice white plumera tree. A few months ago it was blooming nicely, but has since stopped. Some leaves are falling and some others are turning brown. Should I be concerned or is this a natural annual cycle? We are in Tampa Bay, Florida, it is October.

Thanks.

Unknown said...

Hello, fellow blogger and fellow Port-Charlottean! (Born and raised, although I currently reside in North Port!) I came across your blog while looking for information regarding my frangipani. I am considering planting a few in my front garden, but they've been "lanai plants" their whole lives ... looking for tips to make the transition easier. We've not seen them bloom or flower yet, but I'm thinking now it's either due to their age (young) or maybe they aren't getting enough sun back here. I will check out more tips from your blog: I'm a novice gardener so always looking for advice. Thanks and have a great day!

Followers

Good Sources For Gardening Information