Sunday, December 28, 2008

Grow Light And Plant Cuttings

December 2008, Port Charlotte Florida

Right now I am experimenting with rooting cuttings of a few different garden plants. This is December in Florida and it has been cool, however it is warming up quite a bit. I am using a grow light in my house and have selected croton, which is doing very well under the grow light. Within three weeks the croton is rooting. So far I have transplanted one into a pot with regular soil prepared for the transplants. I will be transplanting two more in a few days because they have started to root. It’s a new variety that I want to get stocked up with in order to have stock plants for more cuttings.

I am also experimenting with leaf cuttings of the Kalanchoe plant. Although these plants are beautiful they are deadly. They are not safe to have around children and animals especially dogs.

I had bad luck with trying to root the passion flower. At first it seemed to be doing well, then something happened, it may have been due to contamination of the container; I‘m going to sterilize it and try again. I have a very vigorous passion flower growing on my fence in my back yard and started cuttings from it early last fall and they are doing well.

I have about a hundred croton plants that I started from cuttings of various varieties. They are doing really well and now I have to consider just how I’m going to manage them this spring. I need to develop a planting arrangement for the landscape and still have sufficient stock plants for propagation. That’s going to be a neat trick to pull off, especially with the limited space that I have. I‘m also going to be working with other plants to include with the project; one is the springeri fern that will make a nice addition. I want to keep only one for seed. One plant will produce all the seed that I can handle. I have multiplied these plants from division but choose to grow from seed. They are easy to take care of as seedlings and will take a little longer to grow, but that’s ok. Within a year I’ll have all the stock that I’ll need. That way I’ll have a variety of different sizes to sell and use for Rosie’s landscaping business.

I also have one Foxtail Springeri in a large pot that I hope to have produce seed. So far it has blossomed but it didn’t produce seed. I’m hoping that this spring it will bloom again and this time with a little luck and the right insects to pollinate them I’ll get some viable seed from them.




No comments:

Followers

Good Sources For Gardening Information